Mayor Matt Starr updated us on the City of Mount Vernon
- Tammy Woods named President ProTem of City Council following the resignation of John Francis. Woods also now heads the employee and community relations committee. The new Council Member will head the Utilities Committee. Central Committee for the second ward is set to meet tomorrow to recommend Francis’s replacement.
- Council made some amendments to DORA. Council will allow the signage as proposed and it will be evaluated next year. First Fridays were omitted from being signature DORA events. The signage will signify the areas for DORA.
- Fire Department update: fully staffed, Year to date 2,732 calls for service, 87 percent EMS related. That’s 100 less in terms of calls for service than last year. Paddle for Heroes part of PR activities.
- Planet Fitness ribbon cutting was Monday. In old Staples building. This is really good for growth in the City, another option for residents to get healthy.
- PAK United having fishing from 3-5pm at Ariel Foundation Park Thursday
- City celebrating Independence Day Tuesday, Fireworks at Dusk, 10pm
- Hampton Inn coming to Mount Vernon
- The Mount Vernon Board of Zoning Appeals granted two variances on Wednesday for a developer who plans to build a Hampton Inn on Venture Drive.